Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

Yeast Lab day 2

Today was the day the students took their petri dishes that they had sprinkled yeast onto the agar in and made a wet mount slide from the yeast growth.  There was a great deal of bacterial growth as well, but I had them take their samples from the fungal growth and use aseptic technique in their handling.  The slides they made were great!  I did not have them heat set this year.  We did use a cover slip, and then we added the immersion oil to the top of the cover slip.  Each group was successful with this method.  I had to make up some 70% ethanol at the last minute because I had forgotten to check the bottles left in the lab over the summer.  We had used almost all of it last spring semester, so I mixed some up quickly this morning and refilled the bottles.

Jobs for the lab tech today: Finish refilling all of the bottles of 70% ethanol, fill up the distilled water bottles in the lab for the new semester, cleaned the 40X and 100X objectives on all scopes, got one round of old culture tubes ready to sterilize when I run the autoclaves on Wednesday, and cleaned a round of used slides that had soaked in clorox water.

On Wednesday, I need for her to make at least another 1600 mL of nutrient agar to have all the kids will want on Thursday for the Collection of Microbes lab.  She can also help me pour those plates and begin to clean out the test tubes after they have been autoclaved.

No comments:

Post a Comment