Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sterilizing the nutrient broth

The directions on my autoclave say always run at least 35 minutes after reaching sterilizing pressure, but the directions on the bottle of nutrient broth powder say to autoclave at 121 degrees for only 15 minutes. I decided to follow the directions on the bottle. When I removed the lid from the autoclave, the tape did show that sterilization had occurred, so maybe I made the right choice. It was difficult to hold my autoclave at that temperature, so there was a time or two when the temp got several degrees higher. I hope it didn't damage the nutrient broth. Guess we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Only 1.5 hours today to make nutrient broth. Making the broth and pouring it up while the broth heated was a real time saver. It only took a few minutes to reach exhaust temp after I put the lid on.

    ReplyDelete