Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Making PDA for switchgrass transferes

I decided to make 1000 mL of Potato Dextrose Agar today instead of 800 mL like I usually make when I make media. That way, there should be plenty of plates available for them to make transfers of any growth that may have come out of their plants since Tuesday. I used 39 g/1000 mL of distilled water to make the PDA.

I also decided to make more water agar and let the students surface sterilize some more plant material so they can each be sure to work with at least a couple different specimens after they are isolated.

Heather from Junior League is coming to visit us today to see what we are doing with the grant money they awarded us in the fall. I wanted her to be able to see several different steps which are involved in the research the kids are undertaking, so she will be able to see them taking cuttings of their live plants, looking for growth out of their samples we did on Tuesday, and hopefully making transfers of fungi growing out of their water agar cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment