Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting ready for the Oxygen Requirement Lab

I decided today to let students keep the plates from the Effects of Temperature lab if they had good clean cultures of E.coli and Pseudomonas flurescens to use as seed cultures for next week's lab. I will have the stock tubes available if we need them. We also needed 6 cultures of Lactococcus lactis for the Oxygen lab. It came in yesterday but there were no real instructions for growing it out. It is currently in a milky liquid broth that I did store in the 37 degree incubator. I looked on the internet for growth requirements, but didn't find anything useful. I email Dr. McPherson and she emailed me back that she's never grown it but she thinks I could use tryptic soy with a little glucose added to it. The problem is that I need the cultures Monday and we don't have any glucose in stock. I'm ordering it soon though for a lab after Spring Break, so I'll have it next year.

I did let one of my students go ahead and make transfers to just a nutrient agar because I already had those ready. We'll see if they can grow just enough to do us some good for next week. There's a lot of "wait and see" and "trial and error" this semester, and the learning curve is pretty steep!

I made the thioglycollate broth today after students finished up their lab so they could see what that process is like. It was pretty cool because there was a pretty color change as the broth was mixed and brought to a boil and oxygen was added to the broth. I'm looking forward to seeing how this lab works out! I think the kids will like it if I can keep them from shaking their tubes when they make their transfers.

No comments:

Post a Comment