Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Nature of Science At Its BEST!

The kids were so excited about the results of this lab when we put them on the board today, that they want to continue this Antiseptic/Disinfectant Lab more next week. They want to streak the plates from all four directions and then test some new items. They chose to retest hydrogen peroxide (which seemed to inhibit growth best) and then add Lysol, hand sanitizer, Febreeze, and a cleaner called Recal that is used in the vet office one of the students works in. We talked about how typical this is in science. The more you learn about a topic, the more questions you have!

I did have enough growth (after a week) in my pathogen plates on water agar to make transfers onto PDA which is what I think I should have put them on to begin with. I still haven't ordered Rifampicin. It's $33 for a small quantity, so I may see if I can do without it. Dr. Ownley emailed me that I can use a drop of lactic acid in the PDA plates to lower the pH enough where bacteria don't do well, but fungi can still do OK. So, I may try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment