Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

Autoclave Update

I tried again on Thursday morning to run the autoclave. It continued to have leaks which prevented it from reaching the green zone (17-21). It stopped at 15 pounds of pressure and just sat there. Frustrated, I called for help and finally got in contact with a very helpful technician. He told me a couple of things that will help me. I am going to buy some olive oil, on his recommendation, to improve the seal (instead of using petroleum jelly as directed in the directions). Also, he said to cover the entire slanted surface, not just the pointed edge or bevel. Thirdly, when tightening the screws on the lid, doing them opposite screws at a time, I need to check to see that the lid/seal remains level at all times. He said to tighten and check, tighten and check, etc. until the lid is seated and level on the unit. When I checked, I did see that the lid was slgithly crooked so I guess that explains the inability to reach pressure. However, he did tell me that sterilization will take place at 15 psi, so at least I didn't waste my whole morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment