Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting ready for endospore and capsule stain

Last week I received the High School Microbiology Kit from Carolina Biological which contained 5 organisms to be used in various staining techniques. I will do a lab with them on Thursday, so today I transfered the culture from the agar slants on which they were growing when I got them to nutrient agar plates. These cultures must grow from 24-48 hours before using them. Anyway, I did the streak-plate method to transfer them to petri dishes instead of going first into nutrient broth as I would have done with a little more time. I hope they grow sufficiently for 12 groups to get colonies out of these dishes. I probably should have done more than one petri dish for each organism. I need to remember to do that next semester.

I'm needing to do transfers of all the cultures I was given by UT to keep them fresh, but all of my screw cap culture tubes still had E. coli and B. megaterium in them, so today I autoclaved all of those tubes, washed them out, and disposed of the contents in a biohazard bag. I'm a little nervous about doing these transfers outside of a laminar hood, but I really don't have much choice. That is a little out of our school budget price range. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment