Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gram Stain Round 1

When I got to school today and looked in on our petri dishes, they were PERFECT for doing a Gram stain today--lots of isolated colonies. So instead of waiting until Thursday as planned, I checked to see if the lab was going to be used during 3rd block, and it was free. Also, I had emailed Dr. McPherson about whether or not our samples would still be good come Thursday. She emailed me back to say that when she has her college students do Gram stain, they do use 24h cultures, but that we should still be OK with 72h cultures. Anyway, I took advantage of the empty lab and we did Gram stains today.

After only about 3 broken slides because either they heat set for too long or because they were impatient and didn't let the slides air dry first, we had excellent results from our Gram stains. I was so proud of these kids! They were able to accomplish what many students in college struggle with doing properly. We will do them again on Thursday for more practice. This will also let me know if my 72h cultures act like they did after only 24h. I wish someone besides me could understand what a great job these kids are doing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment