Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Nutrient broths looked OK!

I was quite pleased to check on my nutrient broth transfers this morning. They looked fine. Both the E. coli were turbid as they should have been and the Bacillus megaterium both had sediment at the bottom of the tubes. So, I think they will be fine.

During fourth block today, I made the transfers into student nutrient broth tubes--16 of E. coli and 16 of B. megaterium.

Today during our lab period, the students finished their observations of the cultures they had taken last Monday from various places around the school. It was odd, two of the cultures taken from the restroom door handles actually dissolved the nutrient agar, turning it into liquid. The rest of the samples looked good and the students seemed to enjoy comparing their growth with what they observed on Thursday.

After they finished with the cultures, we planted switchgrass seed in soiless potting mix and put them under the grow lights. I almost used Miracle Gro, but instead, I bought organic potting mix. I need to pick up some litle watering cans for the kids to use to keep them moist while they germinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment