Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gram Stain Round 2

The Gram stains went well again today (Thursday), but we did have some mixed results. Some of the students got results that were just as nice as the first time (cultures are now 72h old instead of 24h old). However, there were a couple groups that got results I couldn't explain. Overall, I feel our results were better the first time. I did have some students who got good results the second time that were totally unsuccessful the first time, so I guess practice makes perfect.

I received a new kit from Carolina Biological (part of the grant from DonorsChoose.org) that I plan on using on Thursday of this coming week. We will be doing some capsule and endospore staining using the stains and organisms they supplied with the kit. (The name of the kit was High School Microbiology Kit.) I'll need to make some transfers of organisms Monday or Tuesday from the culture tubes they sent so they will be ready for Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment