Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

From nutrient broth to agar plates

Today, the kids took a few minutes to analyze their nutrient broth transfers by comparing them to the originals. I believe all of them were successful in making the transfers and the microbes seemed to have cooperated by forming either turbid or sediment samples in the new tubes. Kids were pleased!

After that, they learned how to make a transfer from their broth tubes to the agar plates I had ready for them. Some of them are still having trouble with their Bunsen burners (getting them adjusted properly). They were learning the streak plate method today. I did not have them flame their inoculating loop after changing quadrants on their plates. I guess I'll see if that was a mistake when we get back in lab on Thursday.

I also finished creating their Gram stain trays today. I bought inexpensive metal bread pans and some hardware cloth (metal screening with larger holes than door or window screening). I cut the hardware cloth and fit it into the trays to support their slides when they are doing the staining and washing. Gram staining will be on Thursday. I am somewhat disappointed that all of the cultures I have on hand are rod-shaped bacteria. Most are Gram negative. I have only one Gram positive organism for them to look at on Thursday. I'll have to adjust that before next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment